Sunday, August 09, 2009

"Tap, tap, tap...Is this thing still ON?"

Yeah, so I have NO idea what happened to the last 6 months.

Some of the things I can remember tho:

First - A MAJOR guest bath reno. We decorated around the shower curtain (which you see reflected in the medicine cabinet mirror) yeah, I'm impractical like that! It is terra cota, and I'm loving it. I promise you, it's not as pumpkin as it appears. We replaced the towel racks, toilet tissue holder and light fixture in brushed nickle. Since replacing the sink and vanity really weren't in the budget, we painted the contractor's grade cupboard using a carmel color. A little remnant left from hemming the shower curtain went on a spare towel.

The second thing I've remembered: Hexagons!
I use mass transit to get to work. My employer thankfully subsidizes our bus passes by 50%, making it quite affordable. Parking in a City lot is $8/day which seems like a good chunk of money. I can't imagine some cities that charge $20 or more/day...ouch!

Riding the bus gives me 20 minutes in the bus each way, and I generally have 30 minutes to spare after eating lunch. I've been toting English Paper Piecing with me, a fantastic handwork project. Below is a pic of my work so far, it's destined for a wallhanging for my cubicle at work. I think it would look best with one more row of 3 diamonds., it's a design-in-progress.

I need suggestions for the borders, I can't decide if I should applique the hexagons onto a border or have the outer row of white be used as part of the seam allowance. What do you think? AND..what color borders? All the fabrics used have a small print, including the white. They are Aunt Grace-like. (I think I made the pics clickable-IF I remembered how, lol.)

Thirdly, my daughter #3 is now in Iraq, a reservist in the Army. Her first request was for "girly sheets". Here is a tease...cuz my soldier reads my blog! Sorry Peach, ya gotta wait for the box, you should get it in a week, it's going out in Monday's mail. Her sisters are having fun gathering items to send, dd#2 has already managed to get a box to her. Dd#1 has a box ready to ship too!

Her box is jam-packed, it'll probably SPRING open! I couldn't even send everything I intended. Guess she'll just have to wait for the next shipment. YES Peach, I won't forget the banana bread, lol.

I invite you to read her blog: www.400daysinIraq.wordpress.com and her battle buddy Erin's: www.erininIraq.wordpress.com . It will give you a good idea of a soldier's view of things.

That's all I can think of from the Sonoran Desert. The monsoons were a bust, they're pretty much over. They're promising an extra wet winter, I'll be waiting!



6 comments:

Warty Mammal said...

Awesome to see you!

Your bathroom redo looks great.

Wishing your daughter safety, interesting work, and as little sexual harassment as possible.

Ruth's Place said...

Lovely to see you blogging again.

The hexagons look great.

Also wishing your daughter safety during her deployment.

Holly said...

Love the bathroom paint color, the hexagons, and the pink sheets! Good to hear from you again and thanks for the link to your dd's blog.

Erika Jean said...

Love the potty rooom!!

Nancy in WI said...

I've been waiting for you to post again! Nice to have you back.
Nancy in WI

Kathleen said...

What a pretty way to package the sheets! Thanks to you daughter for her service (and your family for their sacrifice). Just checked out her blog - great way to keep in touch. How's that requested quilt coming along?! :)